Thread: Rankings
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2002, 10:03 AM   #15
jimvance
Dojo: Jiyushinkan
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Li
Actually, "black belt" ("kuro obi") is fairly common in normal Japanese speech. Some arts use striped belts and so forth, but just plain black is probably the most common, even for high ranking individuals. I've never seen a striped or red belt in Aikido in Japan.
I don't doubt kuro obi is common Japanese vernacular, but I have yet to see it used on certificates. I do some calligraphy as a side business and an American group of karate practitioners wanted the name "black belt" on their certificates. I told them that was inappropriate. My point is that most Americans are really focused on that particular piece of cloth and the colors it bears. We even have the magazine "Black Belt" and everyone knows before they see the cover that they aren't talking about a fashion magazine.
I never have seen a striped or red belt in Japan, being as I've never been to Japan. But my teachers have them. Guess what? They wear black belts most of the time. I was referring mainly to the Kodokan Judo ranking guidelines. To me it seems that (much the way Carl spoke of it) they were created to show objective criteria and an educational gradient rather than hierarchy, which was one of the uses of the older system. Kind of like being in elementary school, "I'm in 4th grade now!" But over the years, the idea of hierarchy overtook education (or maybe just blurred it a lot). In other words, the kyu - dan system wasn't trying to simply replace the older system, it was trying to create a different environment within Budo educationally.

Jim Vance