View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada
Re: Who's missing out?

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Agreed. OP is not seeking discussion; it is personality to personality pot-stirring and should at very least be moved to "open discussions" forum.
I think OP has a point, and not necessarily a personal one.

Modern culture is very advertising-driven, and we are conditioned to feel like we need to acquire something that we don't have in order to feel complete or happy. It is easy to get sucked into this feeling with aikido (or anything) and be constantly searching outside ourselves to find fulfillment, rather than just relaxing and doing the daily work it takes to realize peace, stillness, effective technique, or whatever it is our goals in aikido may be.

Of course if we have inadequate teaching or training methods, we won't get very far, so there is no shame in keeping our head up and connecting with those around us so we don't fall into a rut or develop bad habits. We can help each other on the way.

Also, I think it does not denigrate our aikido to be excited about it and want to share it with others. If someone encounters a fantastic new (to them) training method and wants to share it enthusiastically, I don't have a problem with it. That's how I choose to interpret those who are really into the aiki thing these days and want other people to know about it.

It might not be my cup of tea, but we don't have to fight about it. Nor do I have to have the "fear of missing out". I still believe there are many ways up the mountain, and no one way that is right for everybody.

Peace,

Conrad