View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #48
Tim Fong

Dojo: Aunkai
Re: Aiki and cross training

Quote:
Roman Kremianski wrote: View Post
Reality? How is a filtered, second-hand retelling of what some Aikidoka went out and did reality? And I'm not talking about the "I was there" people. I'm talking about the "a friend of a friend of a friend told me..." folks. When the Gracies wanted to demonstrate BJJ for the world, they held actual physical matches, filmed on tape and with commentary. No one needed to spread stories about how Royce went to the local bar and arm-barred thugs to test his skills.
Yeah, how is some second hand retelling of what some guys saw at Waterloo, reality. Yeah. That stuff never happened.

Quote:
Again, I'm not saying these stories never happened. Just don't place all your confidence and faith in Aikido on a few vague events where some young dudes went out and got into shit. I just don't see what it adds to your training, and how that actually serves as any kind of evidence to benefit Aikido's image.
Okay so you're not saying it never happened, and you're not saying it ever happened. So what exactly are you trying to say?

And I don't place any confidence in Aikido based on a "few vague events." My knowledge that these things likely happened, has nothing to do with my confidence. Rather, it has to do with assessing what kinds of people were studying aikido during its prime, as opposed to what kinds of people are studying it now, by and large.

Quote:
Sorry, just my wacky opinion. This is why I train in MMA alongside Aikido, Joseph. To do the opposite of "avoid reality".

Great. More people should be doing that. How do you feel that your aikido training benefits your ringtime in MMA?