View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #140
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Quote:
Alberto Italiano wrote: View Post
I go to a dojo, lesson lasts 60 minutes, sensei speaks 20 at first oftentimes.
Then he illustrates a technique, and a few more minutes go.
Then we should try it, in a mostly static setting. During this time, which is invariably short (maybe 3 minjutes) you are supposed to:
1) try the technique. This with the implication that often, if another technique flows out of your hands, your uke complains -thenceforth you realize you have no option to act naturally, to act... alive!
2) then also uke must become tori and try the technique.
3) suddenly, the sensei claps his hands, and illustrates some detail that maybe is not even your weak spot at that moment but the mistake of someone's else. We wait a few more minutes. Then back to 2 minutes of technique, once me another my uke.
4) the sensei changes technique, and spends 3 or 4 more minutes to illustrate it.
5) repeat the "algorithm"

At the end of the day, you have been in a dojo to train at best 15 minutes.
I don't feel alive.
Sorry, Alberto. Your dojo sucks.

I realize that I was very lucky to find an excellent instructor initially, and to be able to define my own training since then.

But having said that, I am still somewhat concerned that you want aikido to answer question that it cannot.

Or more accurately, you want aikido to answer those questions in ways that it cannot.

You will have to look deeper and reflect on exactly what it is that you want out of your training.

With your level of inquisitiveness, I have very little doubt that you will find the answers... However, they may not be what you currently expect them to be!

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki