View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #63
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: Why bother keeping Aikido 'pure'?

Quote:
Probably, but I think it would be pretty hard to develop a universal agreement about what those "non-aikido" maneuvers are.
Perhaps, then, in deciding what techniques properly constitute Aikido it would be easier to work from techniques that are universally (or near-universally) agreed upon as distinctive to Aikido: shihonage, iriminage, kotegaeshi, ikkyo, nikyo, sankyo, kaitenage, etc. Rather than defining what isn't Aikido, it might be better to define what is.

Quote:
When senior instructors talk about technique "arising spontaneously" to meet the needs of the moment, I don't think they're referring to letter-perfect, put the pictures in your next book, kihon-style shihonage, either. Real situations are messy; real technique won't necessarily look like something you would want to see or demonstrate on a test. But I think considering how aikido's underlying principles apply in "non-standard" situations is likely to be more productive than simply abandoning aikido in favor of a "more applicable" technique from some other art.
Sure. I've been studying this very thing for the last half-dozen years or so. I'm too heavily invested (25 years in now) in Aikido to simply abandon it in favor of something less archaic in its forms or more immediately martially effective. So, I've been "updating" things and the results are quite satisfying to me.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."