View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 01:45 PM   #35
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Poll: How important is working with strong-gripped, "static grabs" in your aikido

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
One last thought for tonight.

I wonder how many people here who commented negatively (or positively) have tried a systematic approach to training consisting of moving slowly and precisely and learning form without strong static grabs for a few months (from a teacher who trains and teaches this way) and compared their results to the systematic approach of learning form with strong static grabs?
I spent probably the first 10 years of my training doing flowing, primarily from motion stuff, with an emphasis on connection and timing.

Then I started training with my current teacher and working with people who offered little or no momentum and lots of resistance. Nothing I'd ever been taught before worked at all. Now when I go back and play with more flowing folks, it seems almost trivial. If you can make something work against a static opponent, it's even easier when they're in motion. My experience anyway.

I think static resistance is a training tool. No it's not how people fight, but neither is shomenuchi.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu