View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
NagaBaba

Re: If you disagree with your instructor's explanations...

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
Hi Szczepan, don't know how serious you are about this, but this is not going to work. The instructor might be doing something wrong while I don't have the skill back up my opinion physically. Should I then do my best to learn the teacher's decent way or should I try to improve my own good way?.
Hi Joep,
Don't forget, we are doing martial art, it is not a class of philosophy or how to discuss ideas.Whatever works phisically - you can't argue.If you disagree with some interpretation of technique, but instructor still can throw you, it simple means that your judgement is wrong.Face this brutal reality like a men

Quote:
And I have often seen teachers use this type of argument against students: "what you are doing is wrong because I can counter it like this". Well, if someone with more aikido experience than me, who already knows what I will be doing and who can adjust his attack to facilitate his counter to my technique, is not able to consistently counter my technique, I'd run out of their dojo screaming..
Normally instructor is more experienced then you, so he must have a skills to backup his teaching.If he hasn't - un out of his dojo screaming
You can counter a technique because it has at least one opening, and not because you know what is coming.So countering a technique will display this opening, however even then, not every instructor will see it
Quote:
So while taking the discussion to a physical level may determine who is the better fighter, it will not determine whose ideas about aikido are the best.
I know that it is very difficult for instructor ego, when his student can reverse his technique - but it is the only way for them to improve understanding of aikido .

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo