View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #1515
Chris Evans
United_States
Smile Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
No one goes into a fight thinking they're uke.

...Maybe it's better to avoid fighting.

Katherine
true, until it isn't: will you avoid fighting when confronted with murders or kidnappers that have cornered you and your dependent love ones? Then, if you can not survive, you must resist the "evil" to leave a physical trail of evidence for the law enforcements to clue in to. Will you have avoided fighting on that Flight 93, Sept. 2011?

martial arts = self-defense = self protection = fighting, but knowing when might take wisdom before words or thoughts (Prajna Paramita): That's one of the reasons why i sit in zazen meditations. I have actively avoided fighting, but when the time calls for action to save life I hope to not hesitate, for courage is when you've had the courage to do the things before. More "practical" open-minded training is more fun and develops deeper trust and friendships

My advise to those of you who want to 'kick ass' is to "fight" in amateur MMA competitions where seeming realistic pressures are balanced with having ref', judges, medic, and no law suit or criminal charges. Merely sparring with prospective MMA players has given me priceless insight & humility.

Last edited by Chris Evans : 10-21-2011 at 09:10 AM.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."