View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #49
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: YouTube: Morihei Ueshiba (O-Sensei) in 1968

Just to be sure we are on the same page.. for me
"Tanking" refers to a fictitious response in which the uke [re]acts in a manner disingenuous to the nage.
"Resisting" refers to a committed [re]action from the uke oriented to prevent an outcome (nage is trying to accomplish).

As a note, the use of "tank" in this thread is somewhat different than how I use the term. I think compliant movement is a little closer to how I would describe a partner who seeks to move without consideration of her personal integrity, but rather the integrity of her partner. Cooperative movement would be the joint consideration of accomplishing a goal without regard for integrity (from either partner).

Uke waza should be a commitment:
1. to provide an sound, functional, attack that initiates connection (an would accomplish an affect if otherwise not dealt with)
2. to receive nage's movement in a manner consistent with an acceptable response to the effect of nage's movement
This gives us some freedom individually to determine what we feel is acceptable. No doubt, some of us make better choices than others. But, it does gives us the opportunity to make good choices. For example, resisting shiho nage during normal training may not be acceptable. Maybe a training opportunity turns bad and nage is close to seriously injuring uke, uke defends by resisting the technique to thwart what may have been a injurious movement. If nage jeopardizes uke, then it is acceptable for uke to respond to the effect of the movement. This is why we typically don't elevate our training to that level of risk.

When I work out with good aikido people, I can do so with less regard for my integrity because my partner inherits some responsibility to preserve it. If I give my partner my wrist to twist, I am doing so with the expectation they will not break it in the execution of technique. On the other hand, if I am working with someone who I do not think is responsible, I may not be free-giving with my trust or my integrity. I may choose to retain some ability to resist as a means of self defense. I can still take ukemi, but it is more reserved.

I would think most of O Sensei's students held a significant level of trust and respect for O Sensei to give them a high level of freedom to let O Sensei move them without the need to regard their integrity.

Last edited by jonreading : 08-20-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Jon Reading