View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #35
MM
United_States
Re: Being Committed to Aiki

Quote:
Carina Reinhardt wrote: View Post
Thank you Francis Sensei for a very thoughtful and instructive post. I'm learning a lot from you and that is why I will put my sand grain in this beautiful column, which I commented already in AAUSA.
It's been a long time since I commented here.
Just wanted to say that there are some members commenting in this column who didn't seem to have understand what you wanted to tell us. I think that Aiki is a commitment through love. As you say training does not require such a commitment, most budokas don't train with it. But if one chooses to being committed to aiki, it does not include only the training it also includes to live all the time according to it and to spread it to everyone who likes to know it.
If you choose to be commited to aikido and aiki principles it will give you more than you think. Just be aware of your way and the details you get every day.
Wish you all a great weekend
Carina
I'm sure Takahashi sensei is a wonderful person. I have no doubts about that at all. If his article has stayed true to Modern Aikido, I would have found it very appropriate.

However, he wrote this, "Nonetheless, any and all who would declare themselves to be genuine "students" of the Aikido of the Founder, should examine carefully, after doing their honest "due diligence", and after carefully examining their fundamental reasons for choosing to create their own Aikido, and fully know why they have decided to align their growth and development with the Founder's theories, techniques and unique philosophy. Without this conscious and honest self affirmation, such a powerful commitment may be doomed before it is is begun."

So, in doing due diligence, there is a world of difference between the aikido of Morhei Ueshiba and the aikido of Modern Aikido (Kisshomaru). So, yes, I'm asking hard questions because the founder of aikido was put forth in the article. I absolutely agree with Takahashi sensei in that due diligence in regards to the founder of aikido *must* be done. Sadly, though, I am finding that the due diligence is lacking ... but I continue to hope for the best.

Mark