Thread: New Comer
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 03:45 AM   #7
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Hi Emily,

Aikido would be great for all of those things. I say, go watch a few classes, pick a dojo and an instructor that you like and join up. Give it 3 months and you will be very proud of yourself and what you have achieved.

Even the most co-ordinated people can get on the mat for the first time and find themselves at a complete loss of co-ordination. So, you wont be alone in that (and its kind of expected from begginers).

By 3 months your mind should have adjusted to the new movements and your co-ordination will improve.

But, your first few lessons can be very awkward and very frustrating because your arms and legs wont go where you want them to.

Just stick with it and give it a fair go.

I think one of the other main benifits of aikido is that it is social. Techniques are done with a partner and you are interacting with others physically and verbally through the majority of the class.

This interaction has a definate effect on a students confidence in themseves, as they have all of a sudden found a community to be a part of with people. These people are willing to trust the student to apply techniques and not hurt them, and vice versa.

anyway, I talk too much...

You can get out of aikido all of what you want, and a great deal more if you are willing to invest yourself in it.

I find that the biggest hurdle for most people is to get the confidence to step on the mat for the first time. Just go for it