Old 12-13-2010, 05:15 AM   #33
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Tales and Phantasies of Aikibunny

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Henry,

I was born in 1944, so my early childhood was just after the war. I remember ration books and have very fond memories of eating rabbit. My mother used to stew it or do it in a pie.

Speaking of aiki-bunnies, were there any in the UK? I don't remember meeting any in the dojos where I trained and I started quite a bit later than you did. Before I went to K Chiba's dojo in Chiswick, I used to train at the Budokwai, where John Cornish taught aikido. Mr Cornish thought that Aidan Smyth and I were lunatics for going to Chiba's dojo. Well, we went and never looked back, but I would never call Mr Cornish an aiki-bunny.

Best wishes,

PAG
Hi Peter

There was never any such creatures in the early days, no Ki Aikido or music and those dopey ribbons in the dojo, there was only one Aikido and that was " Traditional " ....I often smile, or perhaps grimace is more fitting when I see what goes by the name of " Traditional Aikido ".
In the beginning as I have said before, approx 90% of new students were old students of Judo, you try telling those guys they are not harmonizing with you The very first Aikido course/seminar was held in Devises at Graham Burts Judo Club circa 1959, there was no ill intent towards Ken Williams and myself but we were tested on every technique. I remember I took one guy so hard and high that he smashed the lighting tubes leaving the mat covered in tiny fragments of glass...It all went well and Devises Judo Club became a part of the British Aikido Council with regular course..Graham Burt went onto introduce Aikido to Canada where he sadly died in a freak accident.

Henry
Henry Ellis
http://www.british-aikido.com