View Single Post
Old 04-08-2002, 09:00 AM   #97
MARZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Abasan
Boxing (in its original form) next to Wrestling is one of the oldest fighting around. Having originated from Egypt i.e. before Greek times as most of us assume, it had the time to evolve into a science an art form that many martial arts borrows from.

I think, most of us though can only relate to boxing that's already popularised. Nothing I think which has the poison of mass consumerism within it, can truly remain true to its original form or intention. Such is the boxing we see today; made for the masses, for viewing pleasure.

I suppose, to understand boxers, we would have to go back say... to 1930's and look at the great boxers of that era. Not limiting ourselves to the pros, but also to the unnamed. (a lot are amateur fighters, who are good, but unable to sustain living of boxing).

After all... who would have thought that Rocky (ie stallone) was not a boxer, or rambo or a cop or a rock climber, after watching his numerous blockbusters. Little did we realise, our patriotic and heroic superstar, spent his time as a chaperone in a girls boarding school in Switzerland during the war.

So, perhaps, we should open our minds and not limit boxing to just 'in the ring, slugging it out'. Maai, tricks, luring, trapping, avoiding, balance breaking, timing, muscle targetting, pacing, blocks, feint, parries, counter attacks and all that... if its not a superb martial art, I wonder what is.

Not to try and make this a boxing forum, but boxing has evolved considerably since it inception. Boxing during the early part of the 20th century not meniton anytime before was very primitive compared to what it is now. I do not think that the use of popuralized when refering to boxing is a acurate description. Boxing has evolved for that very reason (so many have tried it and contributed to it). Give me a art that has a larger more diverse pool of contributers than something with a limited pool any day. Boxing evolved in real life fighting situations. That is not to say that Akido did not, but Akido is not practiced in that way now to the degree that boxing is. As far as Rocky, it and many other theatrical attempts at boxing from a technical standpoint were insulting. The technique of every boxing movie I have ever seen has been terrible although Will Smith did a fairly decent job. Boxing techniques are no less complex than any other arts. It is just that those that have not mastered the art are just as visible if not more visible to the public than those that have mastered it.
I considering either Akido or Wing Chung because I think they would compliment my boxing skills, but the verdict is still out.