Thread: unbalanced?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2001, 03:59 PM   #12
akiy

Re: taigi 19

Quote:
tedehara wrote:
Of course in some of the taigi, attacks are done by atemi (strikes) by the attacker (uke). In that sense, you could say everyone practices atemi. However, I think that the use of atemi in this discussion was for the defender (nage).
Yes, uke attacks with munetsuki in taigi 19, but from the few times I've seen it done, it sure looked like nage was performing some nice atemi, too. Quick search reveals that nage does "Uchiwanage kubikiri," "zenponage kubiuchi," "uchiwanage menuchi," "irimi sudori," "shomenuchi," and "hantai tenkan." At least the second, third, and fifth sure sound (and looked!) like atemi.

Of course, my experience in Ki Society's aikido is pretty limited. Anyone else in Ki Society wish to comment on this?
Quote:
It's true that in many of the techniques, there are places where atemi can be used. However, the most recent instruction I've been hearing is that atemi is used as a distraction to prevent a counterstrike by the attacker or as a spacing device, to stretch out the attacker. It seems to me that the softer styles are almost disregarding atemi, in favor of concentrating on developing the lead.
I seem to remember Kashiwaya sensei saying at the last seminar of his I attended that atemi, especially in randori, should be a last resort thing to do. Rather than relying upon it, nage should be in a good enough position that a (for the lack of a better word) "non-atemified" technique should be available.

Me? I've trained in aikido dojo where atemi are used in almost every technique, where atemi is used sometimes, where the implication of atemi exists and is pointed out, and others in which atemi are hardly ever used.

You know what? In my eyes, they were all doing aikido...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!