View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #20
"Dave_Humm"
IP Hash: 7e69104c
Anonymous User
Re: Skipping grades?

I have mixed feelings about skipping grades, here's why...

As a kyu grade one has only a small number of opportunities to physically test. In my own dojo we begin testing at 6th kyu.

Whilst I'm not a supporter of willfully holding a student back from testing when they're ready, I'm also not an advocator of skipping grades. "Time Served" is in my humble opinion far more important to the development of a student than what colour belt they wear or kyu certificate they hold.

What is important to me as an instructor is the breadth of knowledge my students gain over a portrayed time, not if they've met a specific standard to pass a particular grade, IMHO one does not always accompany the other.

I also not believe in absolutes. I recognise there will always be exceptions to any opinion. Indeed just last weekend four of my students were challenging for their first grade having studied for well in excess of 100 hours each. I was very pleased to see our Shidoin recognise their standard was above 6th kyu and awarded 5th however, the students in question are accepted as "high achievers".

I have no expectations that this will be the norm with other students however, despite being fortunate to have students who quickly absorb their training, I still don't entirely agree that their progression through their grades should be demonstrably quicker than others. The bottom line is they will achieve their respective grades regardless of *when* they challenge for them, I see no benefit in awarding repeated double grades as this only reduces the opportunity for them to test themselves.

Gradings are themselves a valuable lesson and an examination all rolled in to one. In one hand you have the opportunity to test your knowledge and express your personality on the mat through the techniques you apply, on the other you gain both respect for your efforts and a sense of earning what you have achieved. Examinations are also a means of instilling humility, an ego check (for those who may need it) No matter what you *think* you know, or even portray that in the dojo, the examination process illustrates clearly what one knows, and importantly what you may not.

Regards

Dave Humm

PS. Sorry about the anonymous post but I seem to be having problems logging in for some reason