View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 08:18 AM   #14
barron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Canada
Re: Teaching as a separate skill.

Quote:
René Esemann wrote: View Post
Teaching is a separete skill, yeah i agree 100% with that.

I would also argue another problem in learning bujutsu/budô today is a very poor body awareness overall trough all of the population.
How true! I have coached in many sports at the school, National and International levels, and even with top athletes if they have only participated in one sport in their formative years, rather than having a well rounded background which allows for the development of good kinesthetic skills, they lacked the body awareness required to alter their body movement patterns/correct their technique as well as the ability to watch a skill being demonstrated and copy it.

Most members of dojos do not have an extensive training background which makes the job of the instructor so important to allow the students to develop their movement/coordination/body awareness skills over time in a positive/supportive atmosphere. The challenge is the time required to help the participant to learn these skills without getting frustrated and quitting. Many will move on because it is beyond either their abilities or time they are willing to put in to achieve a degree of skill.

This reinforces to me that kihon (basic) exercises (tai sabaki etc.) and basic techniques cannot be overlooked or undervalued in instruction as they will form the building blocks for advanced practice.

Cheers

Andrew Barron