View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Aikido on the ground, questions.

If you look at the bottom of this page, you will see a section entitled Similar threads. Also, you can use the search feature. Your question is very general, so it would be hard to answer without writing a tome. But, here are a few quick thoughts:

Quote:
Do you ever think (being an Aikidoka) that you might (in a self defense situation) end up fighting on the ground?
Yes, anything could happen.
Quote:
If so, what do you do about this?
A) the best you can
B) Depends on the situation
C) If someone attempted a wrestling double or single leg take down, I would probably use a combination of a sprawl and a 45 degree pivot, combined with controling their head, check for multiple opponants, if none, and the ground is not too uncomfortable a surface, drop all the way to my knees and use suwari waza (kneeling techniques). Rather than risk giving them a dramatic takedown and superior position. My wrestling days are long over.

Quote:
Does Aikido provide any tools for this situation, or do you look to other arts for the answer to this situation?
I know many people who do bjj as well as aikido...some dojo actually have separate classes in bjj available to their aikido students.

Quote:
If Aikido provides those tools, please explain..
See above.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)