View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Aikido vs Brazilian Jujutsu

This kind of ties in to my thread on non traditional training methods.

I do not believe that aikido should start to train bjj techniques or even how to deal with a 'bjj guy'. I do believe that aikido schools should try to incorporate more alive drills. Drills that give uke a goal he will see though to either his success of demise. This will focus nage to become more creative, see the openings much sooner, and adapt to changing situations. It will cause uke to learn what does and does not work, and thus he will get better at attacking, so nage will have to get better with dealing with him.

This is what makes judo and bjj so uplifting in such a short period of time. As I get better at an armbar from the guard, everyone in my club gets better at defending against it, thus forcing me to learn new things, or get even better at my armbar. Its a positive uplifting circle.

As for aikido vs bjj, Unless you have a lot of hard sparing experience, maybe judo or wrestling, or full contact karate. You will not be prepared for what happens. However, I think it will be good for you in the long run to still give it a try. Just don't take it personal if you are unsuccessful. Just figure out what you can improve on, and improve on it.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein