View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Re: Is it advisable to have two cups?

Mari I find that my karate, judo, boxing and sword work all blends into my Aikido. I don't do the other stuff anymore with the exception of sword but I sure am glade I had it and benefit from it. I have been doing this stuff for a long time and I find most Aikido schools can use a little help in some departments. I evaluate my students and sometimes if they are really after something I send them somewhere to augment their training. Some go to a Wing Chun teacher who is a good friend some go to a sword teacher and some to a boxing gym for some real hard training. Depends on what they are lacking, hungry for, or need. Some need nothing more than what they get but others need something I find best delivered from a fresh standpoint. I got no desire to strap on boxing gloves at my age but some need it so I have no problem pointing them in the right direction. It’s an exceptional teacher that can give us everything we need. Either that or we don’t need much or don’t know what we need. I would like to see a lot of Aikido people I know walk into the boxing gym where a lot of hungry your black, Hispanic and white guys are trying to get ahead in by boxing. Not a lot of flowery talking and no good will generally just a lot of body banning by guys that know how.

So enjoy and use your knowledge that was hard won.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com