View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Coming back after burnout

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
Truthfully,I'm still apprehensive about starting back.Endless kokidosa practice and tainohenko practice is how it started. I want a practical application to Aikido technique and wasn't satisfied with the training I was getting futhermore I was frustrated at the whole nage/uke narrative I would give honest attacks good energy and help nage practice his technique but when roles were reversed they would resist and correct me.give no energy in attacks .I just had enough at that point.Now when I start back I'm training for me health and fitness first then technique.
Slightly different to what I had envisioned. People will resist and correct you until you get good because they are helping. The thing with aikido is that it's hard. It's all very well to want honest attacks, etc., but they are only helpful if nage is able to actually do the technique. You said you were still a kyu rank? I suspect that you aren't as good as you think you are yet. Accept the correction and learn.

One thing that I find with beginners (yes, that is you) is that I will often move then to exactly where they need to be to execute the technique properly, and then they will complain about me "resisting" their technique because I didn't go exactly where they wanted. Is it resisting? I don't know... Once they get over their ego a bit, they tend to get good awfully fast when I do this, though.

Also, how do you expect to learn practical applications when you still can't do tai no henko properly?