View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #76
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Is aiki a clash of forces?

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
Anyway, I do think that local muscle flexing tends to interfere with "chain linking". So Joep makes perfect sense to me in the admonition to be as relaxed as possible to prevent this.
I agree with this, and I think modern sports movement does as well. If you fire the muscles out of order, you actually interfere with power instead of creating more. For example if I fire a localized muscle out of order, let's say my shoulder, that interrupts all the progress I've made from earlier muscle groups. This is why muscular relaxation is just as important, if not, in someways more important than muscular contraction. I don't think you would find any serious modern athletic professionals disagreeing with you on that point. So, with hypothesis 2, I think we can start to find some really common ground with how modern athletics believes motion should be made and how some "IP" folks believe it should be made.

I would say one of the bigger differences, for me anyways, is that I would say the action (contraction of muscles) doesn't usually start in the hip/abdomen area, but instead starts in the legs (when standing). This is something Hunter said was not what he was suggesting was going on. I would like to know more about that.

As for Hypothesis 1 & 3, these are ideas that are further away from what modern athletics would describe. I would be interested in talking more with people about Hypothesis 1 & 3. If we are describing a major difference between the way modern athletics use's the body, and another way of using the body (maybe IP), this is where we may find our biggest difference.

Also if there is a way to move the body without muscles, what is that method? Are there any examples of this?