View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #9
osaya

Australia
Re: Confused... Uke Ready to Jump?

Quote:
Chris Knight wrote: View Post
what i was trying to understand is why there is so much footage of uke's practically running to take a jump before techniques are applied/balance broken.. i understand etiquette.. but does this help develop the sensei's techniques further???
as many people here have mentioned, there are so many dojos, teachers, styles etc. that it is not possible (or proper) to speak for anyone aside from yourself, as we seldom have any real idea about the rationale for a particular thing that someone else does. on one end of the extreme you have wannabe senseis who are on ego trips and need to feel like they have super powers, whilst on the other, others may have legitimate martial, safety, philosophical or other reasons for doing so.

perhaps a more useful way to continue this line of questioning is for you to post a specific video or two that you are wondering about, and people can give you a little more specific feedback.

Quote:
but will our techniques cover more normal left hooks, uppercuts, and more usual attacks???
see above re: differences, but my understanding is if you're training in a traditional dojo, you probably won't train with most of those attacks you mentioned as part of your regular training regime. you may have to find or organise a side 'experiment group' of interested fellows; or if you're lucky, one of your teachers may have an extra/special class set aside for doing non-traditional aikido training.

however, some will argue that once you learn the principles, all attacks are the same.

Quote:
yes, that was explained by our Sensei, but has the reasoning behind this not disappeared with the Samurai's etc??
again, the most common response you will get is that ultimately, aikido is about learning the principles, not specific techniques for specific attacks. that would be too limiting and impractical.

whether or not you buy this line of argument is up to you of course.

Quote:
sorry to sound negative but just need to get things right in my head behind the methodology...
this question/debate has not started with, nor will it end with, you. i imagine almost every aikidoka out there has had a significant amount of time wrestling with this issue... some are fortunate enough to find the answers they seek. others like me are still seeking.

all the best in your journey Chris.