View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 01:50 AM   #16
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Another art first?

Quote:
Edward Karaa wrote: View Post
Agree with Peter here, however, it is noteworthy that Osensei's deshi who were most known for their strength were ex-judoka, like Shioda and Tohei. Also most of the aikido teachers I personally know have all started with Judo. Myself have done the same. But it could be that it is a natural transition of Judoka who get older or look for an art that truly utilises the principles of Judo.
Similar observations and I laughed when you said

Quote:
Edward Karaa wrote: View Post
I believe every aikidoka should start with judo first untill the knees are so worn out one can barely walk, then switch to aikido.
There is a lot to be said of the physcial and mental toughness that Judo training develops which is missed (I'll even say consiously avoided) by many of those that enter directly into Aikido.

Tomiki of course tried to address this in one particular way, I think the Yoshinkan course was Shioda's answer to the same problem. In both cases they were not addressing a particular skill set necessary to learn Aikido but something that had to be experienced either before, within, or as cross-training.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido