View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
aiki-jujutsuka

Re: where is the Aiki in Dentokan Aiki-Jujutsu

Quote:
Mert Gambito wrote: View Post
Ewen,

Hakkoryu includes principles and specific means by which to achieve aiki as core to the jujutsu and shiatsu aspects of the system. The opening section of the Hakkoryu shodan manual, which all mudansha first read, discusses kamae, eschewing use of force, and other qualities required for use of aiki, and use of ki specific to Hakkoryu through understanding of shiatsu (heck, the Hakkoryu public website even touches on these things openly).

Aiki Nage, for example, is a waza that appears early in the order of shodan-ge, and the spiraling in and yo that is required to create aiki is emphasized in that technique, building on the foundational in and yo of Hakko Dori (Hakkoryu's expression of Aiki Age, with emphasis on the atemi that generally differentiates Hakkoryu from Daito-ryu and aikido). Hakkoryu waza are ordered so that each informs its successors, so: Hakko Dori and Aiki Age, along with Atemi, lay the foundation for developing and using aiki, and ki via atemi, that are required for Te Kagami and the Osae Dori waza you mentioned in your blogpost.

Unfortunately, the degree to which these things are taught, and how they're taught, is a major mileage / kilometerage variable, as in Daito-ryu and aikido.
Hi Mert,

Thank you for your reply and insight. Sadly I think some concepts are lost in translation sometimes. So for example "kamae" and "kuzushi" are never used in my club but posture and balance are. The same principles are being taught but there is no connection made to aiki. The issue I have is is that Aiki-Jujutsu is a Japanese martial art. If you don't use Japanese terminology to explain the principles behind the waza, then the concept of "aiki" can become lost and become just a name, merely a prefix added to Jujutsu. Likewise, we are constantly taught not to use strength, but again no connection is made to aiki...or even jujutsu for that matter. I want to know what distinguishes Aiki-Jujutsu from Jujutsu, hence my study. I believe aiki (though something to be internalized in practice) is a real martial concept. It puzzles me that it is not emphasised more in my club.