View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #91
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Arm locks... really???????

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
I agree with your points. If you have trained yourself to be an anaconda, you have greater
success at choking. My proposition is not an either/or statement.
It is a mathematical one. Hal reviewed USJA authorized bouts and tallied the counts. You can do
the same: take the last 100 UFC fights. How many won by chokes? How many by knock outs?
How many by arm bars? Leg bars? Bloody mess referee decisions?
I know there are other factors as this math I suggest was not a calculus. But Hal's was. He is a
good mathematician. I am not.
I was anaconda'd by a Bando man with 20" guns at Front Sight in Pahrump, NV. I had been hired
to develop a martial arts curriculum for them and hire teachers. It was advertised in BlackBelt
magazine that Front Sight would pay a small fee to each interviewee. I was swamped with mat-
based interviews.

I gave this man my neck and he immediately dislocated my jaw. The choke was on within 2 seconds.
It took two years for my jaw to heal up. He was either nervous or extremely insensitive. But he was a great technician.
I wasn't trying to debate the pros and cons of chokes in ending fights. Obviously any skilled grappler will know how to defend against submissions (which is why submissions are much more rare in mma then they were in it's birth). I was just asking about training your neck to resist choking. More directly, if that training was referring to being able to resist the effects of choking or just the ability to prevent the attacker from sinking the choke.

In my personal experience, I have seen guys with strong necks (big body builders) just as easy to choke (or as hard to choke if they were trained) as guys with pencil necks.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein