View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 08:41 AM   #49
Dangus
Quote:
Without attributes, techniques have no substance and are therefore ineffective. Unless there is a large skill disparity, the person with superior attributes usually comes out on top in a physical altercation.
I agree on basic principal, but I have seen few advanced practicioners of Aikido who weren't in very good shape. As long as they remained in a fight which kept within the scope of Aikido, their specialization would offer a huge advantage relative to the broad focus of most UFC fighters. Sure, the guys that practice 6-8 hours a day 7 days a week are going to have an advantage in pure attributes relative to a martial artist who actually contributes something useful to the world when he's not practicing martial skills. While there may be no huge strength training aspect to Aikido, I have certainly met practicioners of Aikido, as well as Kung-Fu and Karate who are absolutely built solid as a rock. The main problem most Aikido practicioners would have would be an unwillingness, or hesitation to inflict serious damage, despite the fact that Aikido does teach them how to do so if they're paying attention to that aspect of it. I hardly meant to turn this into an Aikido vs. UFC debate though. That's not really my point.
Quote:
I have two friends that recently signed up for NHB matches. They're not into beating people up- they're simply into testing themselves, in the most demanding situation possible. I also compete (sport jiu-jitsu, not NHB), and gearing up for a tournament is the ultimate in discipline. Once you decide to compete, training becomes more focused and more physically taxing. Because you know you'll be facing someone who has been through similar preparation
While I am glad to hear your personal experiences with the UFC is so good, I have met several people who are really into it as competitors, and more that are into it as fans. With a couple exceptions, I've seen very little maturity. What little maturity I have seen has largely been built around some bizarre code of martial honor that allows for hurting other people for sport. I just disagree with the whole concept on principal. You can be dedicated, intense, focused, strong, all that, but at the core, you're still either watching people hurt each other for fun, or you're hurting other people for fun/money/challenge. I don't buy into all the pseudo-honor and glory crap. That's just me. I just personally see it as an immature exercise which does nothing to benefit humanity. In all fairness, I feel entirely the same way about boxing. If these people devoted one tenth the energy that they do into something beneficial to mankind, they'd be saints.
Quote:
It's injury rates are lower than boxing, football, wrestling, heck, I bet they are lower than inline skating.
First off, I doubt the injury rates are actually lower than inline skating. The number of them in total is probably lower, but statistically, I doubt it. Also, it's a competition that is only practiced a very small amount relative to the amount of time spent training for it. Compared to any other sport it's incredibly disproportionate. I would gaurantee that for the amount of time actually spent engaging in the sport, the rates of injuries are much higher than in most other sports. Furthermore, it has a very high turn-over rate, with a lot of local morons getting into it so they can play toughguy, and then realizing it's way above what they ever realized and drop out before really getting seriously involved into it. At the top levels of it, the money and the skill levels involved would naturally reduce the injury levels, and reduce the recovery time from any injuries received.

Again, I did not want this to degrade into a "My sport is better than your sport" kinda exchange. I just strongly disapprove of UFC and the motivations behind it, and also the same goes for boxing. I have no problem with martial competitions, but I just believe their goals are not coming from the right intentions, and that they take things too far. I compete in sword fighting(SCA, Dagorhir, etc.), kung-fu, soccer, computer games, etc. I have no problem with competition, I just have a problem with the goal. I even like hockey, and that's very violent, but violence is not the express goal of the competition. I believe in hurting people when you have to, not when you want to be entertained or challenged. I guess we'll fundamentally disagree on the maturity of that. I do appreciate the debate though.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who keep their's" -Ben Franklin