View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #124
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands
Re: "stance of heaven (and earth)" and IS

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
<snip>

Yes, Dan has changed my Aikido for the better. So has Howard Popkin, so has Toby Threadgill, Don Angier, Ushiro Kenji, etc. None of these folks are in any way responsible for how I have chosen to incorporate what they taught me into my Aikido.

<snip>

Gleason Sensei and I are both Aikido teachers. We are not doing exactly what Dan is doing. Dan has, however been immensely helpful in helping both of us move towards where we wanted to be in our Aikido. But do not look to us for information about what Dan is doing.

<snip>

On the other hand, if you want to check out some different ideas about Aikido technique, at least different than what has been the prevailing paradigm, then sure, come train with me or Bill Gleason or whomever. Then you will be able to converse knowledgeably about what we do. That still won't tell you what Dan is doing.
I picked that video because indeed videos of IS/IP/aiki incorporated in aikido are not abundant on the internet. I apologize for oversimplifying things by only mentioning Dan as a source for what you are incorporating into your aikido while I was aware that your efforts involve many sources. I only mentioned Dan, because sensei McGrew's inquiries seem to focus on Dan's teachings mostly, and because I don't know much about the teachings of others.

Quote:
Ken McGrew wrote: View Post
I looked at the Ark Sensei videos. Great Kung foo but not very good Aikido for reasons I described earlier.
Indeed, aunkai is not aikido. Nor is any of the other IS teachers teaching aikido, like sensei Ledyard explained very clearly. It is up to the students to incorporate it in their aikido.

Last edited by Dave de Vos : 12-04-2011 at 08:10 AM.