Thread: mixers
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
rogueenergy
Dojo: Aikido of Lincoln
United_States
Re: mixers

Aikido and Daitoryu Aiki-Jujitsu here. I've been taking both for 9 months now. Aikido 3-5 days a week and Daitoryu 1 day a week. The biggest difference is that Daitoryu encourages a violent response to an attack to allow the appropriate time and position to apply a technique, where Aikdio encourages movement and the loss of the attackers balance to allow time and postion to apply a technique. Aside from that the arts have A LOT of crossovers. I find myself in Daitoryu class asking myself how does this apply to Aikido. In Aikido I find myself saying there's a technique in Daitoryu that ends this way, only they take it further than it has to be taken to be effective.

There have been many times in Daitoryu that I have been complemented on my movement and control. I can only attribute this to my Aikido training and the wonderfull level of instruction I have received.

But soon, I will most likely be ending my practice of Daitoryu. Just a personal decision largely as a result of the number of injuries sustained while practicing Daitoryu. When compared to my torn toe nail (the worst injury sustained while practicing Aikido) it's made my decision easier.