Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Correlation of Aikido and Daito-Ryu Waza

Thanks

Trying to answer your questions:

Quote:
John Driscoll wrote: View Post
Amir,

The following are some of the characteristics I use to assess the possible connection of a jujutsu ryu with Aikido and Daito-ryu.
Quote:
• Does Tori appear to "draw out" or "lead" Uke?
Not sure I understand the question.

Quote:
• Does Tori take control of the line of attack and then redirects Uke?
Tori can either take control of the line of attack, if his timing is early enough, or get out of line and establish a new line.

Quote:
• Do the techniques of the school tend to conform to the concept of spirals along four axes — vertical, horizontal, obliquely upwards and obliquely downwards?
A strong yes, with emphasis on combining a vertical "wave" with horizental spiral.

Quote:
• Do the techniques of the school exhibit an overall sense of "aiki", i.e., is there a sense Tori is managing Uke through a mixture of subtle psychological and physical controls?
yes, though this is more difficult to answer. As most disagree on the difinition of "aiki".

Quote:
I find it interesting that the founder of Korindo Aikido studied Takenouchi Ryu and did not have any direct association with Morihei Ueshiba. I also understand, while Korindo Aikido is an eclectic art, there are techniques within Korindo Aikido, which would cause an observer to judge it an art connected to Ueshiba's Aikido. Does Korindo Aikido, in your opinion, display any of the above characteristics? Regards, JED.
Just to clarify, Hirai Sensei, the founder of Korindo Aikido did have direct connection to Morihei Ueshiba, but according to the description inside korindo, he met Ueshiba after he found his own way, and started teaching. And his association with Ueshiba was not one of teacher / student. Rather he taught in Ueshiba Dojo and later became the "operational manager".
At the same time, people from Aikikai seem to consider him as a student of Ueshiba.
This was the reason I was wondering if your analisys could provide additional insight about the origins of the art. But, according to you, Takenouchi Ryu does have similar concepts, invalidating such analisys tool.

Amir