View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: Has anyone surpassed O'Sensei?

Hugh said this wonderful statement, "It's generally a problem that since Aikido doesn't require muscular effort, the best Aikido often looks fake. I don't know how to solve that one."

No kidding. Hugh nailed it. I've been on the receiving end of being ... umm pick your verb? Smashed, crushed, pulped, twanged, pulverized, broken (almost) and generally just thrashed by enough high-ranking dan grades around the country to know when I'm feeling the "real thing." And... in any of those situations, the people watching are saying to themselves, "Is {He/She} doing anything?" It looks like John's just giving him the technique there, just falling for the old guy out of respect. Doesn't look right, ya know...

When I crawl off the mat and am asked, I just tiredly glared at them and wheeze, "You go out there and try it. I'm out. Done. Wrung out."

The above is apropos of nothing, I think, it just needed being said.

Next thing that, IMO, needs to be said. It's sort of illuminatingly funny, I think.

Picture Seagal Sensei visiting O-Sensei during Ueshiba's waning years. Does anyone question that Steven would be in all ways highly respectful and humble in the old man's dojo? Not me. Steven has always carried himself as a very respectful martial artist, respecting other "martial artists." (See his interview for his idea of who qualifies, though).

As to the idea of "surpassing" one's instructors.... isn't that their goal?

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.