View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #37
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: When is Aikido a Non-Aikido martial art?

Sensei Ledyard writes...
Quote:
In contrast, the wonderful sentiments expressed by many people about peace, harmony, personal transformation etc. coupled with a sort of "it's all ok" sentiment regarding technique is equally missing the point. Beautiful ideas with absolutely no understanding of how those ideas are grounded in the physical realm of reality, with no ability to really connect the spiritual with ones waza in a way that actually is real is not Aikido either.

It is the great tragedy of Aikido that there are so few people who seem to be able to bring these elements together. All concepts in Aikido are grounded in waza. As you start to really get a handle on "aiki", you can see exactly how the Founder developed his ideas about how waza and the spiritual come together. It is then that one can start taking ideas from the spiritual realm and allowing them to inform our waza. This process is Aikido, as far as I can see.
Perfect...Thanks Sensei and in the spirit of Aikido I am going to steal this and quote you all over the darn place! I agree with the other posters here... I hope you (and Dan Harden too) write a book someday.

WIlliam Hazen