View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #24
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: On Closing Threads

As a guy who is admin on another forum...

I think Jun is doing an *amazing* job. And what Fred said about that is the "first truth" to consider -- this is Jun's house. What Jun says goes. Nothing more needs to be said.

On the difficulties... The issue isn't whether Erick is right, wrong, or even seriously deluded. As long as Jun feels he's not strayed from the rules as Jun sees them, well, there you go.

I've also got to say that I would like to think the majority of people reading are quite capable of reading between the lines and making up their own minds, thank you very much. I tend to read all new messages here and I must admit that there are times when I want to yell at both sides of this debate "Okay, okay, we heard you the first 8000 times..." Man, at times it's like getting stuck at a family get together with that weird uncle that discovered religion late in life and just can't understand why everyone else doesn't want to discuss it with him... Ad nauseum... On and on, never ending, constantly recycling...

Sometimes the posts remind me of kids with shiny new toys. Their entire world revolves around that one shiny thing. And the perception of the value of everything around them seems to hinge on whether they can use the toy with it. It gets old...

But... Hey, post away. I *do* read them all. I *do* hope to get out and train with some of these guys to see for myself. I'd just like to say I think I have a sufficient intelligence level to reads everyones' posts without needing someone else to protect me from the awesome mind control powers of individual posters... "These are not the droids you're looking for..." Wave hand here.

In terms of insults -- I've seen some pretty nasty posts from both sides over the years. Some very heated posts. And it seems to me that if I'm reading them, well, they ain't being censored on either side. Which I'm fine with. As I said earlier, your words define you. And I'd like to think the rest of us aren't all that stupid that we can't figure it out for ourselves.

Trolling is something totally different. But being an admin for one of these things is *incredibly* difficult. Because people do start to demand that others get banned because they don't agree with them. Or they feel insulted or slighted. Or they feel they're not getting the respect they deserve. Well, my reply to most on forums I admin is to get used to it or don't post. It isn't a perfect medium. And it never will be.