View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 07:44 AM   #26
MM
United_States
Re: Ueshiba taking Ukemi

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Hi Mark

Well I asked Rob to put one on me. And even asked him to set it in more, till I was in pain. Then I blew it up instantly. I'd be willing to guess he'll tell you he hasn't had anyone just sort of look at him and take the power away. But yes that's internal and its a pretty low level skill. There are other ways to handle things like lock attempts. Students see us do them when we take ukemi, then they learn to do them as well. Pretty much they learn to lock and learn to undo them. Thus they learn a positive response to an attack not a passive one.

Cheers
Dan
Morning Dan,

Thanks for the explanation. If it wasn't ukemi, but internal ... hmmm ... so if Ueshiba was using internal skills in that way, then why did he not do ukemi?

As Ellis states, traditionally, the teacher is in the uke role. But, also, as Ellis states, if taking joint locks was learning ki/kokyu skills, then where did ukemi fit in?

Erg, I'm not getting my main point across. Hate the Internet/rather talk. Even though taking ukemi is for developing ki/kokyu skills, why did Ueshiba change the teaching methodology such that he was tori more than uke? Wouldn't feeling how Ueshiba negated a joint lock provide more instructional value than him doing the technique on someone else? Or could he train people better by guiding them, through him being tori?