Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom
Re: DH Bristol Nov 2013 - A newbie's perspective

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Alex,
Please expand for this moron what you mean by opening the body in six directions .How do you develop yin yang [this is a concept ] ?As for spirals, aikido hand movements for example utilise spiral movement . By the way, is Daren in his blog referring to you or the originator of this article when he says you/other guy may have been brainwashed??What changes have you felt?I description would be welcome.Is there tangible evidence that changes have occurred or is it a bit of a placebo effect,where someone goes to the quack , get a bottle of sugary water, and the persons own imagination takes over? Cheers, Joe
Hi Joe,

I'm sure there are much better explanations out there, but, as far as I understand it right now, opening six directions involves lengthening the tissues and removing excess tension in the natural directions of bending of the torso: to each side, to the front and back, and opening across the front and back of the body.This practice strengthens the core muscle system around the spine, and builds neuromuscular connections directly and diagonally across the body.

How does this make me feel? I have much more of an awareness of what is happening inside my hara and how it is connected to my legs and my upper body, and I'm starting to feel a kind of "springy" strength coming from my belly.

Spiralling and yin-yang are, at a basic level, about a balance of forces around the point of contact/connection with your partner - you don't push or pull or twist, but your body rearranges itself around this point to transmit a spiral or spherical movement to your uke. You are right, of course, about the hand movements in aikido being spiral in nature, but you will agree, I hope, that it's more than just twisting your arm and expecting your uke to fall over. Where does the twist/spiral start, and where in your partner's body does it end?

I think Daren is being ironic about the brainwashing thing. You are, aren't you, Daren?

Alex