View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
SoloAvatar
Dojo: Aikido of San Clemente
United_States
The Consequences of Fighting

I wanted to share an event that happened at my workplace a little while ago. And while I am only a minor character in this event, I believe I have learned a lot from it about the power that is built into the Aikido philosophy.

While working I hear desperate calls for me (as one of the managers at the store I work at) to go to the front of the store. Upon exiting the store I'm confronted with images that don't click very well with what I'm used to. And I'm pretty sure steam was pouring out of my ears as I tried to process what I was seeing. An employee who was coming to work sitting on the curb (we'll call him Jim), a bike laying in the parking lot, a homeless man laying unconscious on the asphalt with blood coming out his ears, and about 30 customers all gawking.

The police, ambulance, and fire truck already on the scene were putting Jim in handcuffs and put him in the back of a police car. The paramedics putting the newly conscious homeless man on a stretcher and racing him to the hospital. My boss walks up to me and tells me to go look at the security cameras and see what had happened.

Upon finding the footage I see Jim running with the bike (which he uses to get to work) while being chased by the homeless man. The man kicked the bike sending it flying and starts swinging at Jim. After being hit three times in the head by the man I see as Jim takes a boxing stance and with one punch hits the man in the jaw knocking him unconscious. The man falls to the ground hitting his head, while Jim goes and sits on the curb.

Taking the information down to my boss, I see Jim has been released from the police car. He was still shaking from the shock of the whole experience. While kneeling down to give him some gentle words I see two large gouges on his hand from being cut by the mans teeth. The paramedics treated his wounds on the scene but told him to go get a tetanus shot from the hospital.

After a far to long, the scene wound down and everyone involved was exhausted from dealing with the events. We learned later from the police that Jim was completely innocent as the event was all self defense. Everything was all fine and dandy, right?

A few things happened afterwards that really put everything into a different light.

1) Jim's hand got very infected, which is common for wounds cause by someones mouth. Its a very dirty place.

2) The homeless man went into a coma in the hospital and had to be put on life support. (He's currently not expected to live)

3) Jim has to deal with two very scary possibilities. The homeless man had hepatitis and HIV. So now Jim has to get testing done to determine if he was infected with either.

In asking myself what if I was in Jim's place, what would I have done. Well we don't know how the origination of the confrontation started. But I could say I never would have gotten into the starting confrontation. Would I have run like Jim if I was in his place? definitely. Would I have hit the guy like Jim did? I don't believe anyone can truly predict how they would react, but I hope all my years on training would have ended the situation without the possibility of killing someone even if it was not intentional. I think the moral of this experiences is, fighting no matter the reason will have consequences. SO DON'T FIGHT!

Any other perspectives would be appreciated,
Stephen