View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: Mental Toughness

A wise man once said, "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." You want to get tougher? Begin by ceasing to tell yourself that you're weak, or that you can't be tougher. You want to get up and get going? Stop saying to yourself that you can't. An Olympic gold medalist doesn't become one by contemplating failure and fear. Long before they succeed they are saying to themselves, "I can do it. I can win."

The billions spent by companies each year on advertising do so on the basis of the understanding that we all become conformed to our focus. So what are you letting your mind focus on when it comes to training? If your preoccupation is with the discomfort of training, then obviously your going to view training in a negative light, in accordance with this preoccupation. I'm not saying never acknowledge discomfort; its perfectly alright to say, "Ugh! That hurt!" when it does. But dwelling on that thought, allowing it to expand in your thinking will only bring an increased aversion to similar experiences, which is a problem if such experiences are a necessary part of progress in training. Instead, focus on the development of skill and strength that discomfort in training imparts.

Just my two cents...

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."