View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
Dave Plaza
Re: For those who came from a Striking Art ...

I came from years of boxing to Aikido... What attracted me to Aikido, is the idea behind it, the cleverness of it I guess. And that it's an art that you can improve at with age.

Can you use Aikido against a seasoned boxer? not that much... It's pretty hard to get hold of them... But I have used the footwork of Aikido to get behind a boxer in the ring (as I still spar occasionally), and it was pretty amazing as I ended up right behind him and had the time to think "wow, look where I am" and had a little laugh to myself... Unfortunately (in this instance) in boxing you can't punch the back of the head.

Because of this, I believe training with realistic atemi (and by this I mean your strikes and ukes) is pretty important if you want to do some serious damage to someone... Not that i do, but it's good to have it up your sleeve right???

The fookwork in Aikido is brilliant for getting you into a position to get some nasty strikes in, and I'm glad of my boxing experience as it has helped me realise this.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Plaza : 03-05-2011 at 05:12 PM.