View Single Post
Old 06-30-2002, 11:52 AM   #20
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Re: Enthusiasm flagging - pls help

Quote:
Originally posted by George S. Ledyard
Many times I have been frustrated. Many times I have questioned what I was doing and why. I have gone years at a time in which I wasn't sure anything was happening in my training only to have a sudden explosion and a quantum sudden jump in my level.
Amen!

I don't know if I've accomplished anything as exalted as the SHOSHIN folk so sanctimoniously intone we should adopt, but I don't suffer that spontaneous resentment anymore when stopped by a white belt. I'm annoyed, but with my attitude, not them; with the complacency I suddenly realize I've fallen into in thinking the I "have" this or that technique down.

You know that queasy feeling you get when you come up unexpectedly on a mirror in a department store and you see that without the usual prep and primping you don't look like Brad Pitt after all? I'm always finding that with my aikido. Train with a beginner, he doesn't know "how to lose" and my technique doesn't work. Train with a stranger, doesn't work. Change techniques from what the teacher showed and UKE expects, doesn't work. And then seemingly for no good reason, things suddenly--SUDDENLY--work and you're hitting the sweet spot every time.

I've come to be suspicious of when things are working: Doesn't my UKE trust me enough to resist?
----------------------

But I digress and Jun's going to transfer my post to a different thread (').

I certainly see the wisdom in George's response, but I want to know more about Mr. Brown's situation than he told us. In my own case, I've had my own high motivation deadened by poor teachers or a poor atmosphere for learning. Mr. Brown, WHY do you feel the way you do?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/