View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #90
Buck
United_States
Re: Aikido and Bushido

Let me leave you the following from the last chapter of Nitobe's book, published by Ohara Publications Inc. as something to look over.

Of course, the preface by Nitobe recalls his Belgian jurist friend astonished (as a sense of being incredulous) and completely incomprehensive that the Japanese have no religion (in the western sense), means lacking moral instruction/education. Like how ghastly.

Also in his preface Nitobe states, "All through the work, I have tried to illustrate the points I have made with similar examples from European history and literature, I hope this will make the subject more relative for the comprehension of the Western reader." Keep in mind he is writing to an 1899 educated moral Western audience. That is the people he is making his views on paper more relative and comprehensive to.

This passage is from the last chapter, "The Future of Bushido" and he is concerned about the future of Bushido. It reads to like aw...like...where are we going to put Grandpa kind of thingy. That is also a major concern for him. Cause Japan doesn't have a religion to keep Bushido like the church in the West did for European Chivalry when European feudalism ended.

"Christianity and Materialism (including Utilitarianism) - or will the future reduce them to still more archaic forms of Hebraism and Hellenism? - will divide the world between them. Lesser systems of morals will ally themselves to either side for their preservation. On which side will Bushido enlist? Having no set dogma or formula to defend, it can afford to disappear as an entity: like the cherry blossom, it is wiling to die at the first gust of the morning breeze. But a total extinction will never be its lot. Who can say that stoicism is dead ? It is dead as a system: but it is alive as a virtue: its energy and vitality are still felt through many channels of life -in the philosophy of Western nations, in the jurisprudence of all the civilized world.

Bushido as an independent code of ethics may vanish, but its power will not perish from the earth; its schools of martial prowess or civic honor may be demolished, but its fight and its glory will long survive their ruins."

I think any flaw is in thinking in anyway that Nitobe's book is a primer for Bushido. What I also see in Nitobe's philosophy and view on Bushido is similar to O'Sensei's in many ways. I often wondered is that because such views where the common views during post Japanese feudalism. Or was O'Sensei influenced some how by Nitobe. I don't know if the latter is possible. But it seems there is a commonality between the two men in their thinking along the same lines.

Something to consider when there is comment made about Nitobe being flawed in his understanding of Bushido. I would definately not mistake Nitobe for anything thing else than being, well I will quote him, "The direct inception of this little book is due to the frequent queries put by my wife as to the reasons why such ideas and customs prevail in Japan. He is talking about what formed his moral notions which he credited it to Bushido. He was born during the feudal period of Japan.

Last edited by Buck : 05-28-2009 at 10:55 PM.