View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 AM   #62
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: Aiki-Ken vs reality

Quote:
Chicko Xerri wrote: View Post
I apologise to have confused you with my response to Georges explaiation. Perhaps when I get a little older I may understand further, deeper.
Osensei spoke of seeing the future in the origin of an attack. Watching time and the opponents movement slow, while Himself moveing freely in and around, seperate from that relative movement. But again it generally takes 25 or 35+ yrs of uninterupted Aiki study to manifest this phenomenon. If you are perseptive.
Oh! and of course, not to fixate on techniques.
To overcome an opponent with techniques, sword techniques or otherwise is in the catigory of Martial Arts. Aiki it seems to me is beyond the Martial Arts..
Cheers.
Thanks, to be fair I was purposefully facetious.
I agree with your argument, I only disagree with the 20+ years to get it, let alone 20+ years of aiki.

You see that is exactly the basis for countering in opposition, you will find that in almost all sword system that is worth is weight in peanuts. Even rapierists do it, and rapier is really a poor excuse for a weapon.
It is much more crucial with weapons because you can not tank it out, so you do rely on time and place and to get it right you need to tune to your opponent.
Prehempting him is a bit of a misnomer, assessing what he is doing very early in his move is a more accurate description.
the whole 15th century Lichtanauer fencing is based around that.

If I put you on a horse with a full plate and lance and tell you the tilt is that way.
It will be overwhelming, it will happen in a flash
But with experience, you will have put you lance to the arrest; put your lance tip over his head, and corrected any wideness even before you enter the tilt, you will feel that you have all the time in the world to hit him, in fact you even have enough time to deflect his blow and hit him and the run takes 3-4 second max.
In a nut shell experience enables you to recognise the situation earlier and hence act upon it sooner.

Phil

Last edited by philippe willaume : 06-23-2009 at 03:02 AM.

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.