View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #22
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: Techniques are dead: Living movement vs dead technique

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Very gentle indeed. We're good friends and I definitely want to avoid any suggestion of "You SHOULD stop talking because it annoys ME". The talking, though, isn't just (or even mostly) a recitation of the steps, it's more an analysis of what just happened (usually with accompanying berating of self). For me, as a partner, it feels like an interruption: he's interrupting the doing of the kata to talk (to himself) about what he just did. As a result, his partner practice is jerky and full of "zigged when he should have zagged" moments -- sometimes dangerously so, for him or for his partner. He knows that he needs to have a better focus when doing weapons, but as you say, the talking seems to be his method for trying to "get it right" on what my sensei calls the "Arthur Murray School of Dance" level: I move this foot there and this hand there, etc. The problem is that when a partner is involved, walking through the correct steps isn't enough.
break out the shinai and go at half speed and power. and when you hit, don't pull the strike. do simple stuffs first and set the tempo. if he talks, strike. sometimes a little bit of pain focus the person.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org