View Single Post
Old 07-17-2005, 08:49 PM   #219
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
- the throw outwardly looked like someone doing a one handed push up - only rotated perpendicular to the floor of course. (not leading down so much, up and straight out)
- this person's shoulder damage prevents him from doing a push-up
Therefore it sees odd to me that it could be normal strength or a combination, but hey, that's the best example I can think of which seems to eliminate the normal or combination, but I won't continue to beat a dead horse.
Could be. Hard to say, frankly. A lot of applying power is, as Shioda noted, a function of timing, focus, and direction. I know people that can do such things as you described fairly well, but who have little or no jin/kokyu abilities. Often when I do a workshop I start off by asking everyone to put 2 hands on my chest and just push me... it's immediately obvious who uses the ground and who still uses shoulder/arm. Yet some of those people could launch me into the air with normal strength, some combination of skills, etc. I.e., it's just hard to attribute someone with having good kokyu skills from just the description, etc.[/quote]

FWIW

Mike