View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #229
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Aikibudo/Yoseikan Techniques

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote: View Post
Though instructed not to lift too high normally, I've found that when applied against serious resistance, the larger the arc the more effective the kotegaeshi, especially if Tori is the smaller person.
I find about the opposite. The larger the motion, the more time UKE has to escape. When I drop UKE quickly into a hole, such as the rear SHIKAKU in KOTE GAESHI TENKAN, they are half thrown before we even get to the wrist twisting.

That is, I find that folks resist the twisting and won't be led into SHIKAKU from that. OTOH, from a position of very poor balance, they can't fight the twisting.

(I saw this, the primacy of KUZUSHI, recently teaching KAITEN NAGE from wrist grab. My students were doing this fancy little curlycue after the TENKAN with their hands ending up off to the side. UKE wasn't really retaining balance, per se, NAGE was handing it back to them. When they cut their hand low, back to their own center, however, UKE was sprawling immediately and the KAITEN NAGE was an afterthought, as I see with some of the older SHIHAN (watch some Yamaguchi vids; you'll see what I'm talking about in the Expo demos of Ikeda, Gleason and Stickles, too). The SHIHAN don't really seem to have decided on a technique sometimes until after KUZUSHI.)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/