View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Masters of the Universe, the Aikikai and the Shihan Certification

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson wrote: View Post
I think you're making way too much of this.

The title is acquired in the traditional way within the Japanese aikido community in order to respect the traditions and all of the instructors that have been allowed to use the title over the years. This tradition within Japan doesn't cause damage to the international aikido community. The only exception I can think of is if there were a non-Japanese 6 dan who wanted the title but didn't get it, but I would question that person's motives and also question how they got into that situation in the first place.

The tone of this post debate sounds a little bit like, "It's not fair that they have something and we don't!". I would like to point out that the international aikido community and the Japanese aikido community are not in competition with each other.
Dear Conrad,
No one is in competition with anyone else.The question that is being asked by some is this . namely Is everybody starting from a position of a level playing field.As far as wanting titles are concerned personally I never sought office or grades within the three organizations that I have been involved in over the last 41 years.I just trained and tried to work for the benefit of the members of our group and as a diligent servant to my teacher.Of course everyone I would suggest would like to
aspire to higher things.This is in my book a pretty natural thing.Nothing to be ashamed of.For example , you might like to be considered by your workforce as being a competent person you line of business and you may have aspirations to develop your talents and secure some managerial position.Should you or anybody in that scenario feel guilty about having such aspirations?I think not, especially if you have served your time and you know your subject.
However in this world you do not always get what you wish for.Thats life I suppose.
All I think is this , more transparency and openness is required by the Aikido community and by Hombu dojo to resolve issues like this subject and any other subject that causes concern .
I am however p;eased that you and a few others have responded to the initial blog.I do hope this mail finds you well, Cheers, Joe.