View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #187
R H
Dojo: Shinkaikan Medford Oregon
United_States
Re: Using ki-skills for "aiki" in Daito-Ryu

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
IIRC he took a class from me once in Houston (in the 1990's) when I gave some classes at a national tournament . His name is Peter Young. That kind of stuff is blarney and the students must want to believe very badly to act like that. My point was that those students would talk just as seriously about the <<searches for kind word>> phenomena on that video as someone who does serious work. To avoid discussing anecdotal phenomena, I was suggesting that we stick to more practical "how to" discussions.

Can you explain, for instance, how Kuroda did the two tricks at the end of the video that I pointed to earlier? If so, then possibly there is a baseline for *functional* discussion. If you don't understand the physics of what he did then we may not have the grounds for a discussion.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
I agree that a "How to" would be ideal for the people on this board. But it is not a question of can I explain how to. Instead it is simply a fact that I promised I would not do such a thing. How could I ever look my teachers in the eyes again after breaking such a promise to them? I don't think I could look myself in the eyes for doing that.

As a last note, in my experience, not all principles are about physics (just to clarify). human physiology, Natural human response, the way we use our senses, our intent, etc are all heavily in play here. Of course physics played a great part in our evolution, but I don't think you meant that.

Apologies

Last edited by R H : 01-17-2009 at 05:45 PM.