Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: The Death of Learning

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
William,
That is what "upaya" or "expedient means" is all about in Buddhism. I think that Ross is correct in that ones "knowledge" is a trap that keeps one from seeing what else is there to learn. All knowledge is conditional and therefore not true in any final sense.
I respectfully disagree George...Knowledge is nothing more that a sword.... The ego of the Aikidoka who wields it determines it's real value. And if by increasing my knowledge I am all the better at wielding it....COOL! LOL That beautiful paradox my friend is the upaya of Aikido...

Grasp and Roll....Grasp and Roll...Grasp....and roll....

Quote:
On the other hand, teaching that way results in students who are hazy, shallow, and attached to the ineffability of the whole thing, and that just results in crappy Aikido.
See above.

Quote:
"Upaya" allows us to present knowledge, to transmit it to our students, to make it useful all the while knowing that it is without any final substance. What we present today will be different from what we present tomorrow, if we ourselves are growing. What you know today, right now, is what you know. No more and no less. As long as you understand that this will all change, that there is no "arrival" at some sort of "Knowledge" that is final and unchanging, then knowledge is useful and in fact essential to the transmission.

The instant people find some knowledge which they believe to be final, unchanging, irrefutable, you see growth stop. You also have everything required to start slaughtering those who have some other ideas about what is true.
I "think" your mixing "Mayas" with "Upayas" with results in all this new age Budo-Buddha speak. Knowledge is not static and you can only share what you know when you know it though your own limited perception.

"Grasping" knowledge is my ego's fault just as much as pointing at the moon is not the moon's fault.

I prefer speaking and writing plainly so substitute the word Ego/Emotion Thought for knowledge and Ross's post makes more "sensei" to me.

Time to go surf and experiance another beautiful "body of knowledge" Nature has blessed me with in this life...

Nothing like a little Dharma Combat my friend. thanks for your insight.

William Hazen