View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 12:03 AM   #74
Eugene Leslie

Canada
Re: Flinch Response in Aikido

Mr. Blauer is definitely onto something for law-enforcement, etc., but he's certainly ain't the new sliced bread. Very interesting stuff.
In my humble opinion he was too flippant and condescending towards martial arts using such words as goofy and making hollywood references.
His Spear is a great "just add water" system. Years of training in martial arts or any physical activity will hone the flinch response.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Ikkyo. Everything is ikkyo, I have heard this many, many times in AIkido from Shihan. These days I tend to agree. the basics of ikkyo are exactly the same as the finch response or Spear. You establish your mobile or moving base and your hands go up and forward. Everything starts with this movement.

The problem with all the other variations on a theme is you simply don't know what is coming at you and cannot process the information fast enough to make a decision and act so in the decision loop you start with the basic ikkyo posture, spear, or what not...observe/orient on the inputs you receive and then everything becomes a branch or sequel from there as you progress through the fight.
Sums my point of view best.

On this topic I think of hockey goalies. It's been tested and shown that when a goalie stops a puck with the glove hand; most slap-shots being 80 to 100+ mph; that it's all reflex and the mind has no chance of processing anything....all trained response....apply the same thought to martial arts and you get my point.

Self-discipline is the chief element of self-esteem; and self-esteem the chief element of courage. Thucydides