View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 03:19 PM   #12
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: "Practice" Katana Video

I just caught this. Sword weight and balance are not the issue. This sort of decorative junk is not allowed in my Iaido classes period! It is not designed for the wear and tear of regular iaido practice. It's a safety hazard to everyone in the class. Handle falure is a real possibility.

Quote:
Thomas Ambrose wrote:
Nick Pittson wrote:
-PS I also own one of those cheap sets: I loaned it to a good friend for over a year while he begun Iaido. When he got his $800 (CDN) Iaido-to from Tozando (http://iaido.tozando.com/), it was kind of funny how his new sword's weight and balance so closely resembled mine. Either my cheap set was not as cheap as I believed, or he got screwed. We both prefer to think the former.

I must admit, I have tried holding my decorative katana to see how it fealt, and it fealt "nice" though I am too inexperienced to say anything about balance or weight. I will also admit that the bokken i use feels more "natural" but once again, I wouldn't know what I am talking about.

I have also taken my decorative swords apart and put them back together due to their "very cheap" construction. There is a nut that screws on at the bottom of the tang underneath the pommel (I forget the Japanese word, fuchi?). I don't think I would ever trust my set with any practice at all, especially after seeing this video. But for the $40 or $50 I paid for the set way back when, they do make a nice decoration in my bedroom