View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Email
Dojo: Linköpings Budoklubb
Sweden
Re: Aikido training vs Kendo training

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
the original question was about Aikido vs. Kenpo or Kempo ?

as for other reply about on aikido vs. kendo stances, be careful about generalizing about aikido stances. Kendo is a lot more uniform about what is correct kamae. I wouldn't say kendo stances are unstable at all. Stability has more to do with you internal state of relaxation and how well you physically understand you own center of gravity. All that affects you ability to move in different directions with speed.
When I refer to "unstable balance" in kendo I mean that the kamae is made to be strong in two directions; forward and backwards. So compared to aikido (and other material arts, like karate, where the hanmi is formed lika a "T") where the hamni is made to give a functional stance to move in different directions rather than just back and forwards, I defined it as "unstable" in comparison to aikido. To elucidate what I ment with unstable, I didn't mean that it was unstable, but in comparison to aikido it isn't made to work in other directions than forward and backwards. (Otherwise the attack-steps would be useless)

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote: View Post
There is quite a bit of variability between aikido schools on what is correct stances. Any stance on two legs is inherently unstable in some direction. It's really a miracle that we are so stable on two legs, just asks the robotics engineers. A lot of things go in to your balance you may not even be aware of (try being stable without your big toes). If you tend not to have your back straight (I would say to students, keeping your shoulders resting over your hips), that would be viewed as a mistake in our school.
Hmm, I guess it differs from style to style then? But I'd say the aikido stance(s) in general is made to provide easy movement in other directions.

Hm, this was pretty confusing to me. Please correct any mistake.

Peace!