View Single Post
Old 10-31-2002, 05:26 PM   #15
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Arthur itis, osteo-whatsis?

Seriously, unless you totally eat the wrong foods, beat your body up more than it heals, and stress out at every little thing, the chances of getting osteoarthritus is very slim unless it is inherent in your family and your genetic structure.

Even then, there are many ways to ward off the worst effects, as my mother at 75 years old is finding the right balance of diet and medications has greatly eased this condition in her. On the other hand, when you reach 55 and over there is bound to be some deterioration which has to be accepted with the passage of time?

My teacher at 72 years old is still doing class with other students when one of the other two teachers is teaching. Not everyone ages the same or has the same health as they grow older, but everyone seems to agree that exercise is one of the key ingrediants to better health with growing old. After wrestling, grappling, karate, judo, jujitsu ... I find that Aikido has the widest band of modification for practice. Properly applied, Aikido can be practiced until the day you die ... hopefully at a very old age.

I say, I would rather die very old ... feeling healthy, than have a long sickness that eats away at your everyday life.

Apply safe practice techniques, eat right, take care of your body when it is injured, and the chances of a long healthy life are greatly extended.

What?

You thought your mother was kidding about eating and sleeping right?